Thursday, July 15, 2010

Jane Velez-Mitchell transcript July 14th

Part 2

VELEZ-MITCHELL: The missing woman`s family was shown surveillance tape from the Camden train station where Jenna was last seen. Now, tell us what you saw, Desiree. Did Jenna ever get on that train? And what about these two mysterious men who were apparently standing near her?

CARUSO: Right. The picture that I`ve seen, it was of Jenna walking, and then you seen two African-Americans walking behind her. But they were like, I would say like 10 -- maybe five feet behind her. And it looked like they -- that they were saying stuff to her. She wasn`t talking to them. Like, it looked like she looked back when they were saying something. And then she just kept walking, and that`s the end of the tape.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I want to bring in -- hang in there, family. We`re trying to help out here. Mark Harold, former police officer. What do you make of this situation, Mark, and the apparent lack of responsiveness by the police?

MARK HAROLD, FORMER POLICE OFFICER: Well, it doesn`t seem like much information`s coming out, obviously, at least to the family. There may be some jurisdictional issues. I`m not exactly sure why, unless they`re saying that she got on a train and went somewhere else.

But all the factors of her past are relevant in trying to recreate patterns and understand where somebody may or may not go, what kind of people they may have contact with and that sort of thing. So it`s relevant information, what she may have been involved with in the past, but it certainly shouldn`t cause the police not to take the case as seriously. So that`s unfortunate if that`s what`s happening.

But it doesn`t sound like we have much information from law enforcement to really understand what their role is so far.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Kimmy McArdle, you`re the aunt of the missing woman. You apparently have been -- have you been to this train station? Do you know what it`s like in that area?

MCARDLE: I have not, unfortunately. I`ve been trying to all do the legwork.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Let me ask Desiree. Have you ever been to this train station?

CARUSO: Yes, I have.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: OK. What`s it like there?

CARUSO: It`s disgusting. It`s disgusting. It`s bad. It`s...

MCARDLE: Corrupt.

CARUSO: It`s -- they should shut it down. They should shut Camden down. Bad.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Because...

CARUSO: It`s scary.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: ... it`s dangerous? We know that Camden is a very dangerous city.

CARUSO: Right.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I mean, that has been established by statistics. It ranks on the top or close to the top all the time. So you`re saying that this train station in Camden is a dangerous place within a dangerous city?

CARUSO: Right.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: So -- but she was there at 7:20 in the morning, right, is when she called you?

CARUSO: Right.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: And yet you don`t think she got on the train. What evidence do you have that she did not get on the train?

CARUSO: She just -- if she got on the train, she would be home. If she -- I mean, she would be home with us if she got on the train. I don`t care what she`s doing. She would have called my mom. She would call my sister. She would call me. She would call Ed.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, the train was headed to Philadelphia, right?

CARUSO: Right.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: OK. So it`s always possible that she got on the train and something happened to her in Philadelphia.

STEELE: Yes, but I went down 15th and Market, in Philly, and handed out fliers everywhere. No one`s seen her. She never got on -- she couldn`t have got on the train. At first I thought she did, but then when they were saying these guys were following her on the tape, and this guy on the phone saying some guy came up to her, make sure she got on the train all right, something happened.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Say that again? You just said something significant. You said the guy on the phone who lent her his cell phone...

STEELE: Yes.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: ... said to you what about another person?

STEELE: He said some guy came up, because he had to get on his train first. And he said that some guy came up and said he`ll make sure that she gets on the train. He`ll make sure she gets on the train all right.

MCARDLE: He said, "I got this."

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Wow. He said, "I got this"?

CALLER: "I got this."

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, that`s -- that`s certainly a disturbing piece of information.

MCARDLE: Yes, it is.

CARUSO: Right.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: "I got this." Wow. OK. Well, that`s new information. I wonder if the police know about that. Does anybody in the family know if the police know about this?

CARUSO: I don`t -- like, as far as the police, like they told me -- when I called Collingsworth, Collingsworth told me that I had to file a missing persons where I live, which is Collingdale. And so I did. And now Adams is saying that it should be Jersey`s problem, not Collingdale`s.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I have to talk to the aunt for one second. Kimmy, what are your concerns when you hear that a strange man walked up and said to the other man who had lent the phone to Jenna, "I`ve got this," referring to Jenna?

MCARDLE: It`s disturbing, because you would think somebody would say, "Oh, I overheard what you were talking about, and, you know, you`re waiting for the next train. Well, I`ll see to it that you get on the train."

You don`t go up to somebody and say, "Oh, I got this." What have you got? That`s what I want to know. It`s disturbing; it`s scary. "I got this"?

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, if there is -- we`re going to take a break for a second here, but if there`s video of her on the train station, then perhaps there`s video of that individual. Perhaps we should have a photo to put up on those individuals, if police are looking for them.

But again, police aren`t calling us back. So we can`t say if those are the individuals or an individual they`re looking for. Call us back, law enforcement.

More on Jenna`s disappearance in just a bit.

Plus, expert witnesses scoured through evidence in Casey Anthony`s car today. What are her attorneys focusing on, and did they get the crucial proof they need to prove Casey`s innocence?

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

GEORGE ANTHONY, CASEY`S FATHER: Shut up.

CINDY ANTHONY, CASEY`S MOTHER: No, I`m not shutting up. You`re telling me I can`t pray?

G. ANTHONY: I didn`t say that.

C. ANTHONY: Yes, you did. You went...

G. ANTHONY: Shut the door, please.

C. ANTHONY: You`re telling me I shouldn`t be praying. We`re out of here.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: How did it go in there today?

C. ANTHONY: (UNINTELLIGIBLE)

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Tonight, missing in America. What happened to 23- year-old Jenna Lord? She was last seen in a New Jersey train station on the Fourth of July holiday. Are police doing everything they can to track her down?

We`ve been calling the cops all day. They haven`t called us back. The family also says they`re getting the run-around. "The Philadelphia Daily News" also says they`re getting the run-around. Why?

Beth in New Jersey, your thought or question, ma`am?

CALLER: Hi, Jane.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Hi.

CALLER: My name`s Beth, and I`m calling from New Jersey. I live in Cherry Hill.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: OK.

CALLER: Jenna does not look familiar to me, but I do know that train station. I know all about it. It`s a drug hub. I had somebody in my family with an addiction problem, and we needed to go down there and rescue him a few times, so I know all about that. She could very easily, you know, have been taken from there.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Wow. I have to throw this out to Dr. Dale Archer, psychiatrist. You`ve been listening to all of this. What do you make of it?

DR. DALE ARCHER, PSYCHIATRIST: Well, I think several things. First of all, the behavior of the police is just very, very concerning. And I think a mantra that I use with my psychiatry patients is that everybody counts or nobody counts. And why they`re acting the way they do, I don`t know. But they need to understand that the media can be their best friend in a case like that. That`s No. 1.

No. 2, I do know about Camden. It has a horrific crime problem. I really wonder why she would be there by herself at that train station, because it`s not safe at all.

All that being said, though, I think that the suspicion has to fall to the guy that said, "I got this." And also the guy whose cell phone she used. I don`t think he can be let off the hook either.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Mark Eiglarsh, obviously the caller is saying perhaps she went there for the purposes of scoring drugs. You hear her family is saying that she was clean and sober for several months. Could that be the reason why police may be less aggressive on this, apparently, than they might be, because they`re connecting the dots? But what if, for some reason, she`s wrong -- they`re wrong and she just happened to be there and was sober?

MARK EIGLARSH, CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Yes, it shouldn`t be a reason, Jane. As Dale pointed out, everybody matters.

But there`s too little that we know about their position to draw the conclusions that we are. At a minimum, they have screwed up big-time in the P.R. department.

And it`s not necessarily to the media that I`m offended they have not necessarily opened up their arms, but it`s to the family. At a minimum step forward and say, "We`re doing everything that we can for your daughter." And that`s it. And they haven`t done it. And that`s reprehensible.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Now, is Kimmy back on the phone, the aunt?

MCARDLE: Yes, I`m here.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: OK. We just heard that the -- Eric, the guy that lent her the cell phone, said that some other guy approached her and said, "I`ve got this," in reference to your niece. Do you know if police have videotape of that individual? Do you know if police have interviewed Eric? What have you been told?

MCARDLE: Absolutely nothing.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Nothing?

MCARDLE: Nothing.

CARUSO: No.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This